Wednesday 23 March 2011

Boys Inspired by P4C

In some of the secondary schools I've been working with, it seems that it is boys who are responding with the most enthusiasm to P4C. At one secondary school, nearly all of the participants in their recently established and very popular extra-curricular Philosophy Club are boys. The teacher in charge of the club is (pleasantly) astonished. She assumed that boys would prefer to be in the yard, playing football etc. She is also surprised as the club has attracted pupils of all abilities, not just more able pupils. I must admit that I am surprised by this phenomena, too, and I'd love to hear from other P4Cers on this issue. At a number of secondary schools, teachers have reported that it is boys who show the greatest enthusiasm for P4C in lessons and who ask for opportunities to do enquiries in future lessons.
Does this chime with your own experience, or is it completely contrary? Also, any ideas as to why P4C is making such an impression on (Key Stage 3) boys in particular. I'd also be interested to hear from primary teachers - are there noticeable, even surprising, differences in younger girls' and boys' responses to P4C?

P.S.
Searching cyberspace yesterday, I found this thought-provoking paper on P4C and gender (from Australia), which some of you may be interested in reading:
 http://www.aare.edu.au/07pap/ble07002.pdf

1 comment:

  1. Working with young people across Northern Ireland, I have a slightly different experience. I have analysed feedback from students in different schools and whilst those in boys schools are positive about the approach, they are much less so than students in mixed and girls' schools. This makes me think that it is not all about gender (because the mixed schools are the most positive of all in a number of categories), and I wonder whether it is related to my practice, school culture or something else...

    ReplyDelete